ADSM-L

Re: Windows NTFS last accessed date set by TSM client

2002-03-26 19:32:15
Subject: Re: Windows NTFS last accessed date set by TSM client
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:32:12 -0500
This is a known issue, and we are working on a solution.

For what it is worth, TSM does not *actively* change the last access date;
this is a property of how the file system works, that any application that
touches a file will update the last access date. Applications that don't
"change" the last access date are almost certainly implicitly changing it
when they touch the file, but then resetting it when they are done. As I
mentioned above, we are working on resolving this ourselves.

For now, there isn't anything that can really be done about this. However,
TSM should normally only be touching files that have actually changed
(assuming that you do regular incremental backups). If that is the case,
then it can be assumed that if TSM is backing it up, it must have been
changed, and thus accessed by some other application; so it would not be
subject to your purge by last access date rule, anyway.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group