ADSM-L

Re: Tapes Blank Under Last Use

2002-03-26 13:01:38
Subject: Re: Tapes Blank Under Last Use
From: Gene Greenberg <Gene_Greenberg AT ROUNDROCKISD DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:59:10 -0600
David thanks for your help.  We also have had the tab problem before and my
partner says he has checked them, but I'm going to check one out to see what the
problem is.

Thanks,

Gene

|--------+------------------------------>
|        |          David Longo         |
|        |          <David.Longo@HEALTH-|
|        |          FIRST.ORG>          |
|        |                              |
|        |          03/26/02 09:12 AM   |
|        |          Please respond to   |
|        |          "ADSM: Dist Stor    |
|        |          Manager"            |
|        |                              |
|--------+------------------------------>
  >---------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU                      |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Gene Greenberg/CentralOffice/RRISD) |
  |       Subject:     Re: Tapes Blank Under Last Use       |
  >---------------------------------------------------------|

I have a 3575 also.  If the "Last Use" is blank then the "Status" should
be Scratch, if so this is normal.  If status is  Private then most likely what
has happened is what we have here,  the operators accidentally set
the write protect tab on the tape (it's easy to do with these tapes).  Check
the tape out and look at the tab.  Set it back off and check back in as
Scratch.

If you have enough retention in actlog you would see the first attempt to
use this tape failed due to write protect and Status was set to private
to prevent reuse.

Need a little more info for your other problem.

David Longo

>>> Gene_Greenberg AT ROUNDROCKISD DOT ORG 03/26/02 08:29AM >>>
Hi,

I don't get stumped too often, no more than once a day, but I've run into a
couple of problems I can't figure out.  I'm using a 3575 library with server
running 4.3.3 aix. For the last two or three days I'm getting nothing when I run
an eject script.  When I run a q libv I have tapes that have nothing in the
column under last use.  When I try to query the volume under the q vol command
or q drmedia command nothing comes up.

Going through the act log I'm getting many messages of volumes that are marked
offsite and still contains files which could not be move ANR1163W.  I don't know
how we got to this point, but if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks,

Gene

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 03/26/02 10:25:36
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any
hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;  and
(2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.