ADSM-L

Re: linux TSM4.2.1: backup problem w/ ext2

2002-03-25 20:24:07
Subject: Re: linux TSM4.2.1: backup problem w/ ext2
From: Michael Benjamin <MBenjamin AT BUNNINGS.COM DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:21:37 +0800
Time to migrate ext2 to ext3. We had many dramas with ext2, it's O.K. for a
single-user machine perhaps, but
you still can get data loss and f/s probs. Particularly as our machines were
still waiting on UPS's and getting powered
off frequently! We now get machines having power dropped regularly and they
don't miss a beat.

We're using EXT3 (Linux journalling FS) and software RAID-1 at 120 sites
with great success. ReiserFS is
apparently good for large amounts of small files. XFS is another option
which we've considered and handles large
files well. Linux has been such a success we will continue rolling it out in
future. We're using Redhat 7.1/7.2 for
our setup and it's been a dream to look after.

And you've got to love the upgrade path for EXT3. Recompile kernel with
EXT3, reboot. Install
a couple of updated RPMs.

(Redhat 7.1 updates required, rsync is just in there because I wanted it,
used for remote secure ssh2 file transfers):

RPM_LIST="e2fsprogs-1.25-2.i386.rpm mount-2.11n-4.i386.rpm
rsync-2.5.1-2.i386.rpm util-linux-2.11f-17.i386.rpm"

Process is:

Recompile kernel to support EXT3. (Ours supports EXT2/EXT3 and XFS for
possible future migration)
Install kernel, install kernel modules, change lilo config and re-run lilo
to update.
Reboot to new kernel.
tune2fs -j /dev/hdxx   (convert EXT2 to EXT3 by creating journalling file)
tune2fs -i 0 -c 0 (disable periodic/count checking as the journalling will
never use it, and it's dangerous now)
Change /etc/fstab to read ext3 instead of ext2.
Reboot to your all new journalling Linux system :)

This was run on 120 _live_ ext2 systems successfully as follows:

# Set each filesystem to journal. Disable the periodic checking as this is
# not required with EXT3 journalling.

df -k | egrep -vy "filesystem|cdrom" | awk {'print $1'} |
while read -r INVAL
do
  echo "Implementing journalling for filesystem: ${INVAL}"
  /sbin/tune2fs -j ${INVAL}
  echo "Disabling filesystem checking for filesystem: ${INVAL}"
  /sbin/tune2fs -i 0 -c 0 ${INVAL}
done

cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.orig
cp /tmp/fstab /etc/fstab

# Reboot

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1)      This document is confidential and may contain legally privileged
        information. If you are not the intended recipient you must not
        read, copy, distribute or act in reliance on it.
        If you have received this document in error, please telephone
        us immediately on (08) 9365-1555.

2)      All e-mails sent to and sent from Bunnings Building Supplies are
        scanned for content. Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
        subject matter will be reported to the e-mail administrator of
        all parties concerned.