ADSM-L

Re: TDP R/3 Versioning and Off-site Vaulting

2002-03-25 10:42:56
Subject: Re: TDP R/3 Versioning and Off-site Vaulting
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:19:32 -0500
It's ugly and manual, but doable.

1) before running the backup that is to be copied for off-siting -- mark all
'filling' status tapes for your SAP backup as 'readonly'. This will force
the backup to start new tapes.

2) After the backup finishes -- update all other tapes in the storage pool
to an access of 'unavailable' or 'offsite'

3) Do the storage pool backup to your off-site pool. The only tapes that
should be available are from the backup you really want to copy.

4) Update all the other tapes back to readonly access

I did this twice.

Then I set up the second init<SID>.utl file -- I was running my on-line
(nightly) backups to a 'PRDSAP-DLT' pool and the off-line (Sunday) backups
to a 'PRDSAP-OFFLINE-DLT' pool, and just copying the latter. This allowed
full automation (two crontab entries, one for Sunday, one for the rest of
the week), with a daily copy process that only found data to copy one day
per week.

Just make sure the off-line redo logs go off daily, and the retention
matches the weekly database backup.

We now have an LTO-based library and I run copies of all SAP backups to go
off-site -- but I still have the two init<SID>.utl files. Now I run 5
sessions (five tape drives) on Sunday for the off-line, and 4 sessions (four
tape drives) for the on-line backup.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc