ADSM-L

Restore from a specific backup date

2002-03-21 12:41:04
Subject: Restore from a specific backup date
From: Cheri Howard <Cheri_Howard AT AAL DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:37:57 -0600
I searched the listserv archives and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking
for, so hoping someone out there can help....

At least a few times a week, we have a need to recover someone's mail file
from a specific date.  We back these mail servers up daily as absolutes (a
legal requirement).  How can I tell ahead of time what tape volumes the
restore will need (short of actually submitting the restore and seeing the
volume numbers come up on the console) so that I can pull the tapes ahead
of time?  This is important to know because my tapes are stored offsite.
And because we run reclamation on them periodically, I can't get this
information by just assuming that the "Date Last Written" field  of a
Storage Pool Volume list would actually contain only files that were backed
up on that given day.

I've played around with the SELECT command, but can't seem to find a
variation that works.  A "select node_name, backup_date from backups were
node_name='MAILNODE' " gives me the node name and backup date, but not the
tape volume.  A "select node_name, volume_name from volumeusage were
node_name='MAILNODE' " gives me the node name and the tape volumes, but not
the backup date.  And of course "volume_name" isn't a valid column in the
BACKUP table, and "backup_date" isn't a valid column in the VOLUMEUSAGE
table.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Cheri Howard
920-628-4166
cheri_howard AT aal DOT org

Aid Association for Lutherans/Lutheran Brotherhood
4321 N. Ballard Road, Appleton, WI  54919-0001
http://www.aal.org