ADSM-L

Re: Archive Backup ClientT (ABC) V3.1 (New!) for OpenVMS

2002-03-21 11:58:36
Subject: Re: Archive Backup ClientT (ABC) V3.1 (New!) for OpenVMS
From: Bill Smoldt <smoldt AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:47:02 -0700
Phillip,

That is an interesting problem.  Are the WordPerfect files generated on
Intel machines?  Are you using Pathworks?

ABC is a well behaved client that uses supported interfaces to back up
files.  That means that we can read the file system as fast as any
application, although in newer versions we can get around some RMS
limitations.  With zillions of files it's going to take the same amount of
time to do the incremental as VMS BACKUP would.

When you say that 8 hours is not acceptable to your users for the
incremental backup, does that mean that you have users that are locked out
during the backup and on third shift?

We very likely can speed your backup by a significant margin if you will
follow through with the contact.  Have the call dispatcher route the call to
me - I have some ideas that have nothing to do with parameter settings.

Bill Smoldt
STORServer, Inc.   SSSI