ADSM-L

Re: System Objects Question

2002-03-21 09:19:48
Subject: Re: System Objects Question
From: "Adams, Matt (US - Hermitage)" <maadams AT DELOITTE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:16:53 -0600
Mark,

TSM can do bare metal restores, we have successfully done so along with
several other users on this list.  In a nutshell, the system object contains
needed registry settings.  If you don't restore it, then you don't get the
registry entries needed to make all the program files you have just restored
work.  You would then need to go back and re-install lots of items that
wouldn't be necessary if you restored the system objects as well (patches
and hot fixes come to mind as well)

You can however, bind the system objects to their own mgmt class in the
dsm.opt file with a
Include.SystemObject ALL mgmtclass   It escapes me now what version of the
client and server is required for this.  This cuts down on the DB hit for
all the system object entries.  Be careful as to not make this mgmt class
too restrictive if you need to roll back a server to a point in time that is
very old.

The B/A client 4.2.0 and above, does do System Object "versioning" which
makes point in time rollbacks a lot easier.

I hope this helps.

Matt Adams
Tivoli Storage Manager Team
Hermitage Site Tech