ADSM-L

Re: Determining deleted files

2015-10-04 17:10:43
Subject: Re: Determining deleted files
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Scott, you can get the names of deleted files from SQL queries on the
backups table, but with difficulty.  I don't have any SQL to post here, but
here is what you need to do.

Select from the backups table where the deactivate date is the current date,
assuming the backup happened between 00:00 and now when you are
running the query.  The results will be files deleted and files changed.
Direct the output to a file 1.

Then select from backups where backup_date is today and save the output to
file  2.

Compare files 1 & 2; anything in file 1 but not in file 2 is a deleted file.
I suggest doing
2 selects and a compare because I don't think the tsm SQL processor would do
this
efficiently in one query, if it can do it at all.

As for drastic size changes, I don't know of any way to determine that.  The
contents
table reports sizes but usually it is the size of an aggregate and not the
size of an individual file.

At 08:30 AM 3/20/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I would like to use TSM to determine what files have been deleted from a
>file server the previous day (or any given day if possible).
>For example, on Monday TSM backed up the file bob.txt, but on Tuesday that
>file had been deleted so it was not backed up.  I would think that some
sort
>of query on Retain Only Version or Versions deleted may do it, but I don't
>know how.
>
>A related question:  Can I use TSM to determine if any files have been
>drastically reduced in size?  For example on Monday bob.txt was 100K when
>backed up, but on Tuesday it was only 1K when backed up.  I would not have
>specific file in mind, so this would also need to be done on all files.
>
>Thanks for any insight.
>
>Scott Foley

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell