ADSM-L

Re: Backups missed

2002-03-20 11:51:39
Subject: Re: Backups missed
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:49:07 -0500
In addition to:

                BACKUP STGPOOL onsitetape offsitetape

I recommend you do:

                         BACKUP STGPOOL diskpool offsitetape

Because at any point in time, some of your backup data is in the disk pool,
some in the tape pool.
This makes sure that if there is any data left in the disk pool that has not
migrated to tape yet, it gets copied to the offsitepool.   (If there is none
left in the diskpool, then the second BACKUP STGPOOL costs you nothing...)

(In fact, you can save a WHOLE LOT of tape mounts if you do these in the
reverse order.
BACKUP STGPOOL diskpool offsitetape  FIRST; then your offsite tapes get made
using only ONE tape mount for the output tape, instead of mounting INPUT and
OUTPUT tapes. :>)

Here is something else you can do:

 select stgpool_name, sum(physical_mb)/1024 as physical_GB  from occupancy
group by stgpool_name order by stgpool_name

This shows how many GB of data are in your disk and tape pool.

The sum of your diskpool and onsitetape pool should = the GB in your offsite
tape pool.  It doesn't prove that EVERY file made it to the offsite tapes,
but if this looks OK when I arrive in the morning, I'm happy..