ADSM-L

Re: People running OS/390 TSM servers - maybe for the development guys......

2002-03-20 11:29:09
Subject: Re: People running OS/390 TSM servers - maybe for the development guys......
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:22:32 -0500
Christo,

I have had hi CPU problems in the past.  I took svc dumps and reported
it to tsm.  Level 2 confirmed that the dump showed lots of activity in
getmain & freemain.  They said tsm should not be doing any getmains or
freemains unless it runs out of it preformatted cellpools.  The size of
the preformatted area is a small percentage of the region in the JCL.
I was running with region=0m; for some forgotten reason I thought that was the
right
thing to do.  Level 2 said to change it to a real value; I set it to 512m
and the server has behaved better ever since.

But there are still hi CPU problems now and then, they seem to occur after the
server has been running a long time.  Just last week I set up automation to
restart the server on Sunday.

Hope this helps,

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab