ADSM-L

Re: Preserving ownership - UNIX (AIX)

2015-10-04 17:10:43
Subject: Re: Preserving ownership - UNIX (AIX)
From: Thomas Denier [mailto:Thomas.Denier AT mail.tju DOT edu]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU; VFISHER AT SENECAFOODS DOT COM
>         I would like to know how we would go about preserving file
ownership
> of the files we need to restore.
>         We just returned from a D/R test and had problems starting some
apps
> since the file ownership
>         is not preserved when you do a retrieve of archives.
>
>         ADSM Server level 4.1.4.0  on AIX  4.3.3
>         Client level  4.1.4.0  - AIX

We have sometimes seen anomalies like this on cross-system restores. The
restore recreated the numeric user and group assignments the files had on
their original host. Unfortunately, the /etc/passwd file on the target
system had a different mapping between numeric user IDs and user names
than the /etc/passwd file on the original host, and the /etc/group file
had a different mapping between numeric group IDs and group names.