ADSM-L

Re: Oracle on Linux backups

2002-03-13 11:03:38
Subject: Re: Oracle on Linux backups
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:00:51 -0800
There was an old Redbook on using ADSM to backup databases. It
includes some very good examples of using shell scripts to
accomplish hot backups of Oracle (and many other databases)
without the need for a TDP or RMAN style backup.

We use a method like this to backup all of our Oracle instances
(Linux or otherwise). None of our instances are large enough to
warrant the additional complication of RMAN or TDP.

In addition to the Redbook above, if you are at all involved in
the backup and restoration of Oracle databases, I would *highly*
recommend the Oracle Press book "Oracle Backup and Recovery" by
Velpuri, et al (it exists in several editions for the various
versions of Oracle).

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks SKG