ADSM-L

Re: Point in Time Backups

2002-03-11 19:08:19
Subject: Re: Point in Time Backups
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:04:48 -0600
Duane,

I have a similar "year end" problem.  Here's how I handle it.

I have a dedicated data path through my system consisting of a little HP
418 DLT autoloader.  I have a special "year-end" management class that
points to it.

When the end-of-year files are ready for backup, I archive them to the
primary pool defined on the little HP.  That gets me the first copy.

My copypool is a four-drive HP 4/40 DLT library.  At any given time, I have
four DLTs within it that are "filling".  I set all four to access=RO.

Then I backup the primary pool on the HP 418 to the copypool.  Because all
the filling tapes are RO, TSM will pull in a scratch tape and copy the
primary tape to it.  That gets me the second copy.

I check out both tapes, and flag both tapes as "unavailable."  That keeps
them out of the reclamation processes.

I put one copy on the shelf in our office for immediate access.  The other
copy goes to the vault.

Then I set the RO filling DLTs back to RW.  Then TSM continues its daily
activities as if nothing happened.

Hope this helps.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator