ADSM-L

Re: Slow Reclamation from disk

2002-03-11 12:00:31
Subject: Re: Slow Reclamation from disk
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:57:51 -0500
We went round-and-round with Tivoli on this issue. They say it's working as
designed. Here's what's happening...

When the location of a file is on DISK which is RANDOM access, then TSM
processes the files ONE AT A TIME instead of batching them together like on
SEQuential media. We first discovered this with the DIRMC...our policy put
the directories into a DISK storage pool and then copied them to offsite
each day. Then the reclamation ran forever. Tivoli says that RANDOM DISK is
processed 1 file at a time and they have no plans to change this. SO you can
imaging how many 1 at a times there are reclaiming your DIRMC pool.

Now we configure up with a first-level DISK pool that we migrate for a FILE
devclass. The FILE is a SEQuential media and reclamation runs OK.

So, if you can migrate the data before you start the reclamation you should
get better response times.

HTH,
Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.