ADSM-L

Re: LANFREE Backups - Feedback?: TDP for Solaris/EMC/Oracle, how it works

2002-03-11 07:20:43
Subject: Re: LANFREE Backups - Feedback?: TDP for Solaris/EMC/Oracle, how it works
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 00:34:20 -0500
I do not know how this perception got going, but I will see if I can
straighten it out.  The TDP for Solaris/EMC for Oracle has nothing to do
with the TSM Server OS.  The TDP runs on the Solaris machine and uses either
the LAN client to send the data over the network to the TSM server or the
SAN Agent directly to the tape drives.  Remember RMAN is what drives the
backup here.  It calls the module that communicates to TSM APIs.  Of course
the TSM Server can reside on the Solaris box.

I think the confusion here is surrounding who is going to read the data that
TimeFinder creates.  Either the original Solaris machine or another Solaris
machine has to read it.  It cannot be an AIX machine.

I hope this helps.  If I am wrong, someone straighten me out.

Maybe, these misconceptions are the reason why no one is buying the stuff.