ADSM-L

Re: Point in Time Backups

2002-03-08 18:16:40
Subject: Re: Point in Time Backups
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:13:27 -0600
> I have numerous customers who are requesting that, in addition to their
TSM
> daily incremental backups, I also provide them with  "point in time"
> backups of their data on significant days like month end, quarter end,
etc.

> I would guess there are numerous ways this can be accomplished with TSM.
> I'm looking for input from those who are doing this successfully and
would
> be willing to share what method they're using to accomplish this and the
> pros and cons of their chosen method.
>
> Thanks in advance for your input!
>
> Cheri Howard
> Lead Storage Analyst
> Aid Association for Lutherans/Lutheran Brotherhood
> 4321 N. Ballard Road, Appleton, WI  54919-0001
> http://www.aal.org

Cheri,

Here's what we do to achieve the same type data safeguards...

* daily incremental backups just like everyone else;
* backups are set for 5 versions if exist; 1 version if deleted, last copy
retained for 400 days (13 months - protects files that are updated
annually);  five versions allow us to go back one week for files that are
updated daily;
* five-week-retention archives of selected locations on the network that
are run weekly (protects files that are updated weekly, also allows
recovery of design work if subsequent work led to dead end); we tried
archiving everything but it kills the DB;
* permanent-retention archives of same selected locations that are run
monthly; these are pulled and sent to the vault (typically intended for
patent defense - most of our archived files are design files and
work-in-progress files).

Hope this helps.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator