ADSM-L

Re: Point in Time Backups

2002-03-08 06:08:58
Subject: Re: Point in Time Backups
From: "Frost, Dave" <dave.frost AT GUARDIANIT DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:06:20 -0000
Cheri
This is our biggest headache with TSM which has NO suitable facility to
provide what you want. Backupsets and archiving are not viable ways of doing
it.

It has been raised as an issue before and there was an excellent description
of how Tivoli could resolve this submitted as a product suggestion at the
TSM Symposium in Oxford, England last October and supported by many other
users. We have one of two solutions that we use at the moment - either a
second node which justs backs up at the required interval (e.g. monthly) or
to use alternative software which does support the concept of holding
monthly/quarterly backups.

I am still hoping that Tivoli will address this soon because we are finding
that it is an increasing inhibitor.

Be cautious if you go the "monthly incremental" route.  It can dramatically
affect the size of your tsm database.  Also, you will want to consider using
the "dirmc" option for the normal daily nodes, otherwise every directory you
have will bind to the long retention class.

  regards,

-=Dave=-
+44 (0)20 7608 7140
+44 (0)20 7608 7140