ADSM-L

Re: 3584 slots

2002-03-07 09:52:46
Subject: Re: 3584 slots
From: Richard Cowen <richard_cowen AT CNT DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:42:44 -0600
From the Planning and Operator Guide (Third Edition (February 2001).

Cleaning Cartridge
To maintain the operating efficiency of the drive, IBM supplies a specially
labeled
IBM LTO Ultrium Cleaning Cartridge with each 3584 UltraScalable Tape
Library.
Each drive in the library determines when it needs to be cleaned, and alerts
the
library. The library uses the cleaning cartridge to automatically clean the
drive. For
more information about cleaning methods, see "Drive Cleaning" on page 19.

Cleaning Cartridge
With each 3584 Tape Library, IBM supplies a specially labeled IBM LTO
Ultrium
Cleaning Cartridge to clean the drive heads. The drive itself determines
when a
head needs to be cleaned. It alerts the library and the host's application
software.
Depending on which cleaning method you choose, the drive is automatically
cleaned or you are required to select menus to initiate cleaning (for
information
about cleaning methods, see "Drive Cleaning" on page 19).
Note: The volume serial number (VOLSER) on the cartridge's bar code label
must
begin with CLNI or the library treats the cleaning cartridge as a data
cartridge during an inventory.

Before a drive can be cleaned, you must ensure that an IBM LTO Ultrium
Cleaning
Cartridge is loaded in the library (to determine whether one or more
cleaning
cartridges are loaded, see "Removing a Cleaning Cartridge from the Library"
on
page 49). You can load multiple cleaning cartridges and store them in any
cartridge
storage slot except the slot reserved for the diagnostic cartridge (see
"Non-Addressable Cartridge Storage Slot" on page 32).

The 3584 Tape Library monitors the usage of all cleaning cartridges that are
present in the cartridge inventory. When a cleaning cartridge has exceeded
50
cleanings, the library displays the following message (where xxxxxxxx equals
the
cartridge's VOLSER):
Replace xxxxxxxx

Addressable Cartridge Storage Slots
Addressable storage slots have both a physical address (such as F1,C05,R19)
and
a SCSI element (logical) address (such as 1112(X'458'). They do not include
I/O
station slots or the non-addressable slots that are reserved for the
diagnostic
cartridges (see "Non-Addressable Cartridge Storage Slot" on page 32). A
library
frame contains a variable number of addressable storage slots, depending on
the
quantity of drives that are installed on the drive side. To determine the
quantity of
slots available for each frame, see Table 1 and Table 2 on page 3.
The 3584 UltraScalable Tape Library stores cleaning cartridges in
addressable
cartridge storage slots and as part of the normal inventory. If the
automatic cleaning
feature is enabled, the cleaning cartridges are not accessible by the host
software.

Non-Addressable Cartridge Storage Slot
The base frame (Model L32) contains one non-addressable cartridge storage
slot
for the diagnostic cartridge, which is used during service procedures. The
non-addressable slot has a physical address of F1,C01,R01, but does not have
SCSI element address. There are no non-addressable slots in an expansion
frame.