ADSM-L

Re: password reset?

2002-03-06 14:53:55
Subject: Re: password reset?
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:51:20 -0500
> We love the ADSM tape library. It saves our butts all the time.
> Only one small problem: we have 3 admin accounts set up in ADSM.
> Occasionally the passwords for an admin account will be reset, deleted, or
> something. Anyway, we can't logon to that account.
>
> It seems to happen once a year or so, maybe. So far it's never happened
> that all 3 admin accounts passwords got blow away at the same time. If
> that ever were to happen we'd be screwed - no one could logon and reset
> the passwords.

At least under Unix and OS/390, there are ways out of this predicament.
Under OS/390, one can always execute an 'update admin' command from the
system console using the 'modify' command. Under Unix, one can bring down
the server with the 'kill' command, bring it up in the foreground, and
enter an 'update admin' command from the terminal session the server is
running under.

> I've looked in the GUI interface to try to see anything like, "reset
> passwords after X days" or something like, but I havn't found anything
> like that.
>
> Anyone know the command to turn that off, or lengthen the time of reset?

The 'set passexp' command will do this from the administrative command line.
I don't know whether there is a GUI interface to this function.