ADSM-L

Re: Backup and restore of NDS on Netware

2002-03-05 17:27:39
Subject: Re: Backup and restore of NDS on Netware
From: William Rosette <Bill_Rosette AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:24:44 -0500
Is there an easier way of rebouncing the dsmc sched scheduler on Netware
without having to reboot the machine?  Seems like every time I go to check
a hung scheduler, I try to unload and then load.  When unloading, it never
comes down and thus hangs the server prompt.  Only way out is to reboot
server so that hanging will unhang and restart scheduler (it is in the
autoexec.nlm)

                    Denis
                    L'Huillier            To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <dlhuillier@PER       cc:
                    SHING.COM>            Subject:     Re: Backup and restore
of NDS on Netware
                    Sent by: "ADSM:
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI
                    ST.EDU>

                    03/05/02 04:38
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

This is a really good doc which comes with the install package of TSM for
netware.
It's located in the install directory of the client.

This is an old document which hasn't been updated since V3 but is still
very informative on
TSM and NetWare.

Hope this helps...

(See attached file: Ntwback.htm)

Regards,

Denis L. L'Huiller
973-360-7739
dlhuillier AT pershing DOT com
Enterprise Storage Forms ->
http://admpwb01/misc/misc/storage_forms_main.html

                    David Longo
                    <David.Longo@HEALTH-        To:
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    FIRST.ORG>                  cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist        Subject:     Backup and
restore of NDS on Netware
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT ED

                    03/05/2002 04:30 PM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

As we were preparing to move Netware clients from TSM 3.7 to 4.2.1.19, we
did a test on one machine.  In the process we had to modify the DOMAIN in
dsm.opt file.  Reading the Tivoli manual on Netware client it states that
NDS
is NOT backed up with DOMAIN All-Local.  We then specified NDS: in the
DOMAIN on this test case.  As we further investigated, we realized that we
haven't been backing up NDS!

We have a tree structure here,  different machines have access to different
parts of the NDS tree.  Also has replication to other machines.  We have
primarily Netware 5.1 and moving soon (maybe) to 6.0.  We have had a
couple of instances where we restored SYS: but never had to restore NDS.
It would seem we only have to backup NDS on certain servers, not all.

Has someone some experience in this area?  Can you reference a document
that covers this specifically?

Thanks,
David Longo

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 03/05/02 16:44:04
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular
entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views
or opinions.