ADSM-L

LANFREE Backups - Feedback?

2015-10-04 17:10:41
Subject: LANFREE Backups - Feedback?
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hello,
We are currently evaluating the implementation of lanfree backups in our
environment.
I understand the conceptual benefits of sending data across the SAN vs. the
LAN/WAN but
am concerned with compatibility issues with our IBM TSM Environment and EMC
Connectrix Environment.
Has anybody implemented LANFREE in a similar environment?
Can anybody give some example or insight to real life advantages to
implementing LANFREE backups?
Are there any tape drive contention issues when a drive gets allocated to a
'LANFREE' backup?
How does TSM manage 'LANFREE' tapes? Does it dedicate a tape to a client
(like collocation) or will other
clients have access to write data to the same volser?
How about attaching a 3590 FC-AL to a EMC Connectrix Fabric?
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

TSM Environment:
1 H50, AIX 4.3.3 TSM 3.7 - SSA Disk
3494 2 Frames 4 Scsi Drives
1 H50, AIX 4.3.3 TSM 3.7 - SSA Disk
3494 2 Frames 4 Scsi Drives
1 H50, AIX 4.3.3 TSM 3.7 - SSA Disk
3494 5 Frames 6 Scsi Drives
1 H80, AIX 4.3.3 TSM 4.1 - SSA Disk
3494 6 Frames 6 Scsi Drives

SAN Environment:
EMC Symmetrix ( 8730, 8830, 4 3930's, 3700 )
EMC Connectrix - 12 Switches

Client/Server Environment:
600 + Servers (HPUX, Solaris, NT, Win2K)
approx 200 EMC SAN attached. (No BCV's used or SRDF.. yet)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Denis L. L'Huiller
973-360-7739