ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Exchange

2002-03-04 09:21:17
Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange
From: "Remeta, Mark" <MRemeta AT SELIGMANDATA DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:18:48 -0500
Incremental backups, backup only data that has changed. Incremental backups
are done in sets. You need to start by doing a full backup, and then x
incrementals. I forget what the limit is but at a certain point you must do
another full and start a new set. When you do the restore, you start with
the full backup from that set and then how ever many incrementals you have.
The incrementals take less time to backup, but it takes longer to restore.
We do full backups daily. Our IS is only 28gb. If you use Tivoli TDP for
Exchange you would not loose your single instance storage if you do full's
or incrementals. The only time you loose single instance storage is if you
use a brick level backup program or a Microsoft utility like exmerge to
extract the individual mailbox information to personal folders. You did not
mention what version of the TDP you are using. If you are using v1.1, then
you should set versions data deleted and retain only version to 0. Version
data exist and Retain extra version doesn't matter. If you are using v1.1,
TSM expiration does not work on your IS backups. There is a command line
utility you must run called adsmautodelete I think. You specify on the
command line how many days to keep your backups. If you are using TDP v2.x I
would set your versions data exists to no limit an the retain extra versions
to how many days you want to keep your full backups for. The incremental
backups use unique names so they are governed by versions data deleted and
retain only version. I would set them to be longer than the settings for the
full backup, versions data exist and retain extra. Finally you should read
the help file or refer to the manual. There is a good section in it about
policy recommendations that will explain it better than I have here.

Thanks,
Mark