ADSM-L

Documentation about Mountpoints, the maxnummp parameter and parallel session handling

2002-03-04 07:32:32
Subject: Documentation about Mountpoints, the maxnummp parameter and parallel session handling
From: Beat Largo <beat.largo AT ZURICH DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:04:55 +0100
We get often problems with db2 and oracle db backups being interrupted by
the API because the session was too long in a state of waiting for
mountpoints. We took several measures like increasing the number of
mountpoints in the maxnummp parameter of the node definition.
IBM recommends that you shouldn't define more mountpoints in the node
definition than you actually got. Now we don't understand what exactly is
the meaning of mountpoints. If a mountpoint is a tape drive than we could
define only 4 mountpoints because we got 4 drives for the primary storage
pool. If we would have two clients we could define for each node 2
mountpoints in the maxnummp parameter. But having approximatively 30
clients how many mountpoints in the maxnummp parameter should we define?
Also we found that the space reclamation process is mounting files on a
mountpoint giving sometimes the message 'Waiting for mountpoint(s)'. Though
a mountpoint doesn't have to be a tape drive but can also be a file in the
temporary space reclamation disk pool.
In consideration of all those facts we would really be interested in a
extensive documentation about the handling of mountpoints, the maxnummp
parameter and parallel sessions in the TSM environment.
If anyone could help us we would be greatly thankful!

Regards,
Beat Largo

Zurich Switzerland
IT SC - Shared Service Center
Storage Management, IFS

This message, along with any attachments, may be confidential or legally
privileged.  It is intended only for the named person(s), who is/are the
only authorized recipients. If this message has reached you in error,
kindly destroy it without review and notify the sender immediately. Thank
you for your help.