ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/TSM and INFORMIX online Backups

2015-10-04 17:10:41
Subject: Re: ADSM/TSM and INFORMIX online Backups
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Need more info Sean. In order for Onbar to play with TSM, a shared
library
is needed. Tivoli previously gave you one in ADSM Ver 3.1 but dropped
the
shared library for later distributions when it found it could sell a
stand
alone product (thus put some more coins in their pocket) called TDM for
Informix which is basically a shared XBSA library. Informix does have
one
available that they got gratis from Legatto some time ago but it doesn't
work well. The only other 3rd party product that provides a shared
library
is BMC SQL BackTrack for Informix which also allows you to pull database
tables from the TSM backup tapes and stick them in a warm database (nice
=66eature). My location uses SQL BackTrack for Informix. How do you plan
on
putting a shared library into use? The BMC product has you create
"backup
pools" which basically are the conduit to TSM by allowing you to bind a
management class to a backup (the "backup pools" have nothing to do with
actual tapes. I don't run onbar commands to do backups but use BMC
commands
which in turn call the onbar commands. I do all backups as TSM archive
type
because expiration doesn't work well with "backup" type backups. There
isn't a true incremental capability withing TSM against these data bases
anyway. There is an incremental capability within onbar (L0, L1, L2) but
TSM doesn't care about this aspect of Onbar. Read the Onbar Backup and
Restore Guide for your version of Informix and decide how you are going
come up with an XBSA shared library.
Don't hesitate to shoot further questions.

George Lesho
AFC Enterprises

"Ramnarayan, Sean A [EDS]" <SARamnarayan AT CALTEX DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on
03/01/2002 02:42:11 AM