ADSM-L

Re: Server Migration - AIX to HP

2002-03-01 22:45:07
Subject: Re: Server Migration - AIX to HP
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 22:42:05 -0500
Yes, that was from Tivoli support, although if you push hard enough you
could probably get some help.  But this is what they told me:
"You can try exporting the server from AIX and importing it on HP-UX.  It
might work, but is not supported".
Maybe they meant a "full" import/export -- server and all nodes.  And they
could have been misinterpreting something.
Here's another example of support misleading us:  out NT group is testing
W2K and had some trouble rebuilding a server from bare metal... support
told them TSM does not support bare metal restore on Windows.   What they
should have said (I think) is "TSM does have an automatic bare metal
restore for Windows".  The NT guys started panicing... I directed them to
the books and help screens on the client, and they were able to figure out
how to do it.

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

                    Richard Cowen
                    <richard_cowe
                    n AT CNT DOT COM>    To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                  cc:    (bcc: Robin Sharpe/WA/USR/SHG)
                    03/01/02      Subject:
                    02:17 PM             Re: Server Migration - AIX to HP
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Is this from a Support call?

The MVS,NT,AIX, and HPUX TSM Guides at least imply cross-platform import is
"supported":

Importing Data from Sequential Media Volumes
Before you import data to a new target server, you must:
1. Install TSM on the target server. This step includes defining disk space
for the databas and recovery log.
For information on installing TSM, see Quick Start.
2. Define server storage for the target server.

Because each server operating system handles devices differently, TSM does
not export
server storage definitions. Therefore, you must define initial server
storage for the target
server. TSM must at least be able to use a drive that is compatible with
the
export
media. This task can include defining libraries, drives, device classes,
storage pools, and
volumes. See the Administrator's Guide that applies to the target server.>