ADSM-L

Re: logmode/bufpoolsize/mpthreading

2015-10-04 17:10:41
Subject: Re: logmode/bufpoolsize/mpthreading
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> Hi Joe,
>
> At 03:39 PM 2/28/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Environment:
> >Server: 4.1.3.0
> >Platform: S390
> >
> >1.  Logmode: We're going to change the Logmode from Normal to Roll
Forward.  What determines the amount of disk I'll require?

> You need enough log space to hold all the db changes between scheduled db
backups.  So it depends
> on how much activity you have and when you want db backups to occur.  You
should also set the
> dbbackuptrigger as a safety valve; it will kick off a dbb when the log
gets nn% full.  I am on s/390 also;
> I set the trigger up to direct incremental dbb's to sms managed disk.  My
log is 7,146 megs; if you upgrade
> the server code 4.2.(1.9) you can make the log more than 5.3GB, up to
13GB.

> You can do a 'q log f=d' and monitor the cumulative consumption value to
see how much you
> need for a day or between scheduled db backups.
>
> >2.  Bufpoolsize: We're going to increase from 24576K to ?.  What's the
determining factor?

> Monitor the cache hit % in 'q db f=d'.  The rule of thumb is to get it up
to 98%.  My bufpoolsize is
> 262144k.  You can dynamically changes this with the setopt command.
>

> >3.  Mpthreading:  We're going to turn it on.  Are there any
considerations I should concern myself with?

> Can't say much about mpthreading; my processor has only 1 engine, but
tivoli recommended it
> anyway, so I turned it on.
>
> >None of this info is in the manual that I'm aware of.  I get a log of
"try this" form Tivoli support.  Unfortunately, I don't work in an
environment where I can "try this" without first knowing what