ADSM-L

Re: Disaster Recovery Project

2002-02-28 10:20:33
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery Project
From: Ted Byrne <tedb AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:17:53 -0500
Jane,

We have had very good experiences at DR tests using AutoVault.  AutoVault
simplifies the process of recovering the TSM server so that you can get
started restoring client data.  The process of tape rotation is automated.

Each time you run AutoVault, three reports are generated:
   All tapes to move offsite
   All tapes to return onsite
   All tapes that should be in the vault
At the same time, it regenerates the TSM server recovery scripts

Reports can be delivered via email, and the recovery scripts can be sent to
a remote location using ftp.

We've also worked on identifying critical applications and data, and bind
that data to a special management class that is sent to a dedicated
storagepool hierarchy (including a dedicated copy storagepool).  The
combination of these two techniques has enabled us to speed up both the TSM
server recovery and the client data restores.

Ted Byrne

>I am AIX 4.3.3 with TSM 4.2.1.9 on and THIN SP2 node with a 3494
>Tape library. We currently do not have DRM, and are using an >
>offsite rotation to another building on our hospital campus. >
We have 2 Alpha ES40's, AIX sp frame with 7 nodes, 10 Netfinity