ADSM-L

Fwd: Re: Restore Database with a 3494 library

2015-10-04 17:12:14
Subject: Fwd: Re: Restore Database with a 3494 library
From: Fred Johanson [mailto:fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
This has come up a number of times recently.  To repeat what the Tivoli
support
person told me when I ran into in real life, I should keep another version
of
my devconfig file handy in which the 3494 definition is replaced by
   DEF LIBrary tsmlib libtaype=manual.
When a DB restore is necessary in either V3R7 or V4R1, use the special
devconfig file, mount the backup tape(s) manually with mtlib etc, and run
the
restore.  After the restore, whcih seems to be completed when the system
actually does the commit (I guess that tells it when it's done), switch back
the reguylar devconfig file and bring up the system.

Quoting Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>:

> Hi TSMers
>
> Running TSM 3.7.3.8 on Solaris 2.7 attached to two 3590 drives housed in a
> 3494 automated library.
>
> This is not something I am having to do at the moment, but something that
> want to get clear in case the need arrises. Let's assume the database is
> corrupt and I cannot sign on to the TSM server. I need to issue the dsmc
> restore db from the command line.
>
> Baring in mind the device configuration below, what is the correct syntax
> should use? Also, what does the commit=yes/no option mean? The reason I
> ask, is that I'm not sure If I need to manually change the state of the
> drive to manual or something before issuing the command.
>
> This may be a bit vague, and if so please let me know any other
information
> you require.
>
> Thanks ever so much in advance.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Farren Minns
> Trainne Solaris System and TSM admin - John Wiley & Sons
>
> /* Device Configuration */
> DEFINE DEVCLASS 3590CLASS1 DEVTYPE=3590 FORMAT=DRIVE MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES
> MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=2 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=3494A
> SET SERVERNAME SERVER1
> DEFINE LIBRARY 3494A LIBTYPE=349X DEVICE=3494a PRIVATECATEGORY=300
> SCRATCHCATEGORY=301
> DEFINE DRIVE 3494A DRIVE1 DEVICE=/dev/rmt/3stc ONLINE=Yes
> DEFINE DRIVE 3494A DRIVE2 DEVICE=/dev/rmt/5stc ONLINE=Yes

----- End forwarded message -----
Fred Johanson
Fred Johanson