ADSM-L

Re: when to recycle client scheduler service?

2002-02-24 10:00:13
Subject: Re: when to recycle client scheduler service?
From: Dennis Glover <dglover1 AT BELLSOUTH DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 08:55:43 -0600
This information might help you, even though your
post indicates that you are using "schedmode polled"
rather than our practice, which is "schedmode prompted".

We noticed that, over time, our IRIX 6.5.x clients' allocation
of memory (especially swap space) grew out of proportion,
eventually requiring either (1) recycling the client, or (2)
rebooting the system.  Most of our administrators had
been using "kill -9 <dsmc-pid>", but that did not return
allocated resources to the system.  The alternative
we found to work was "kill -HUP <dsmc-pid>", which
did allow cleanup.

However, all this monitoring and recycling turned out
to be a bit much of a chore for a couple hundred
clients, so we looked into other options, and found the
Client Acceptor Daemon/Service (dsmcad).  This great
little program handles the problem nicely for us, since
it is small (SZ/RSS~=180/150, and never grows), and
it handles the cycling of the "dsmc sched" program
properly, so that system resources are returned at the
end of every backup.

I suggest that you check the on-line documentation and
try the Client Acceptor Daemon or Service (Daemon for
UNIX, Service for the Monster from Microsoft), and see
if it helps.  You will have to ensure the line:
"managedservices schedule" is in your dsm.opt file.

Dennis Glover
Systems Analyst/Backup Administrator
Integrated System Test Capability
Advanced Research Center