ADSM-L

Re: TSM trying to backup its own, open files..........

2015-10-04 17:12:14
Subject: Re: TSM trying to backup its own, open files..........
From: Gabriel Wiley [SMTP:wileyg AT US.IBM DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Here's a thought...........

Those open files- run a script to copy them to *.copy right before your
backup starts ???

my 2cents.

Gabriel C. Wiley
ADSM/TSM Administrator
AIX Support
Phone 1-614-308-6709
Pager  1-877-489-2867
Fax      1-614-308-6637
Cell       1-740-972-6441

Siempre Hay Esperanza

                      Zoltan
                      Forray/AC/VCU            To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>        cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: TSM trying to
backup its own, open files..........
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      02/22/2002 12:10
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Thanks for the info.

First, I (and the rest of this hallway) are the main "university IT
personel" staff, especially when it comes to TSM. There are only 2 of us
handling TSM administration for all 67 (and increasing) nodes.

Second, yes I understand the implications of SHRDYNAMIC. In most cases, we
don't have a choice. This server, in particular, has files open, 24x7. So,
some backup is better than no-backup. If I had to DR restore this box, I
would rather have "open, in use" files restored, than completely missing
from the backup.

In fact, I am not sure who came up with the default of trying 5-times for
an open/changing file. The first time we stumbled across the implications
of this value was when a 15-gig file was transfered 5-times and screwed up
the evenings backups, causing all kinds of cascading events/failures
(caused this backup to take many more hours than it should have !!).
AFAIAC, 2-tries should be enough !!

Again, thanks for the help and suggestions.

Zoltan Forray
Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University - University Computing Center
e-mail: zforray AT vcu DOT edu  -  voice: 804-828-4807

Bill Smoldt <smoldt AT STORSOL DOT COM>
02/22/2002 11:51 AM