ADSM-L

Re: How do you Shred a document from TSM?

2002-02-20 20:21:16
Subject: Re: How do you Shred a document from TSM?
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:17:45 -0500
YEPPER, there is a way to do this.  This is how.

1.      Determine the tapes/volumes the filespace is stored on that contains
the document.

2.      Change the include/exclude on the client to exclude that file from
backup.  When you do this the file will be expired if you run a backup and
even removed as an inactive file.  You are not supposed to be managing this
file anymore is what you are telling TSM.

3.      TSM will remove all entries in the database.

4.      Issue move data commands for each tape volume to the same storage
pool with the reconstruct=yes option.  The onsite and offsite will be
rebuilt from the primary pool.  This will put the original tapes in an empty
status unless a file spans a tape, then you have to do the one before or
after or both in the sequence of tapes.  You can figure that out from the
filespace and volume history information.

5.      Once the move data commands are complete no one can access the tapes
if you take control of them.  But, you must rerun your offsite database
backups when you rotate these offsite.

This is also how we avoid open storage at our offsite storage facility.  We
cycle our tapes trough over a 6 week period.  Anthing that is coming back
within 8 days gets a move data command to the same pool as part of the cycle
because we do weekly rotations.  If you do daily you would probably do every
2 or 3 days.  But, the point is we never do reclamation of the offsite pool
because we are forcing reclamation.  This keeps fresh tapes offsite and
continually churns the mix.  We use sealed boxes to rotate the tapes.
This process has many benefits, but we have a lot of hardware to do the
forced reclaims.