ADSM-L

Antwort: Netware 5.1/ TSM client 4.1 restore problem - disk space

2002-02-18 03:26:25
Subject: Antwort: Netware 5.1/ TSM client 4.1 restore problem - disk space
From: Jan Moewe <Jan.Moewe AT HAMBURGLB DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:23:56 +0100
David,

when you backup a file from a novell file server all file information,
including "file_owner", will be saved.
At restore time all these information will be written to disk. If the
"file_owner" exsist and the volume space is limited
by "user space restrictions" the restore may fail.
If ihe "file_owner" doesn´t exsist the "file_owner" will be replaced with
the name you assigned for TSM to access the volumes.
Set the "user space restrictions" to unlimited for the specific user and
retry to restore.
Hope that helps

Greetings
Jan Möwe

                    David Longo
                    <David.Longo@HEALTH-        An:
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    FIRST.ORG>                  Kopie:
                    Gesendet von: "ADSM:        Thema:  Netware 5.1/ TSM
client 4.1 restore problem - disk space
                    Dist Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT ED

                    15.02.2002 23:01
                    Bitte antworten an
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

We have TSM server 3.7.4.0 on AIX 4.3.3.  Have some Netware clients
on Netware 5.1 SP3 and TSM client 4.1.0.0.  Netware VOL1 is NSS volume
and set for Long File Names. Have been running fine for about a year in
this
config.  Have restored users files many times this last year.

Now have problem trying to do some restores.  When tried to restore a users
many files in "...NT 4.0 workstation Profile.../ folders and subdirs,
several things
happened.  134 files restored and 500 failed.  We tried this sevreal times
and
restored to another node to see what happened.  You get Tivoli message
ANS 4024E "... write failed.." on certain files.  also a TSA message about
can't write to file (didn't get message copied).  We found that on the
Netware
System Console a message pops up the first time we try on a node.

"Directory quotas enabled on volume "VOL1"."

Our Netware Admin says the only way he knows that can happen is to type
a command on the console to enable it.

We tried restoring to the SYS: volume  on 2 nodes and then when we get to
certain files(the ones that failed on VOL1:)  it says "Out of disk
space..." and
gives you a prompt to Abort/Retry/Skip.  However we are not out of disk
space.  The files in general that fail are *.lnk, *.bmp  and *.ini, but not
sure
if that is a pattern or not.  It will fail on same file each time.

In case it was some problem with that users files, tried another users
"NT Profile" directories and got similar results.
As I said we have restored many times in last year, but I don';t think
much restore done from "NT profile directory".  Have done some
search on Tivoli Web site for this problem and didn't find.

Does anyone have an idea what our problem(s) are?

Thanks,

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 02/15/02 17:14:15
-------
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular
entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views
or opinions.

Diese Nachricht kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie
nicht der vorgesehene
Empfänger sein, so bitten wir um eine kurze Nachricht. Jede unbefugte
Weiterleitung oder
Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulässig.
Da wir nicht die Echtheit oder Vollständigkeit der in dieser Nachricht
enthaltenen Informationen
garantieren können, schließen wir die rechtliche Verbindlichkeit der
vorstehenden Erklärungen
und Äußerungen aus.

This message may contain confidential information.  If you are not the
intended recipient please
inform us. Any unauthorised dissemination, distribution or copying hereof
is prohibited.
As we cannot guarantee the genuineness or completeness of the information
contained in this
message, the statements set forth above are not legally binding.

Hamburgische Landesbank
Girozentrale -