ADSM-L

Informix backup using IBM 3494

2002-02-12 22:41:58
Subject: Informix backup using IBM 3494
From: "Ganu Sachin, IBM" <Sachin.Ganu AT KWA2.SIEMENS.CO DOT IN>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:11:16 +0530
Hi

I have RS/6000 SP2 wide node with AIX 4.3.3 attached to ESS storage box
having Informix database 7.24 UC3. We backup this database using TDP for
Informix version 3.7 with ON-Bar. We use the command "onbar -b -L 0" to
backup whole database and also backup logical log. We restore it at Disaster
recovery site using this database backup with logical logs. Presently we
have db size of 240 GB is backed up in 4 hrs. We want to speed up the backup
using by buying 3494 with two drives inside. With onbar -b -L 0 command ,
using BAR_MAX_BACKUP parameter we can have parallel onbar processes (one
onbar process per dbspace). I checked out with Informix support and they say
that Informix engine has no control for sending onbar data to 3494.

Has anybody implemented 3494 with parallel backup and how onbar is sending
data to  3494 drives ? Since 3494 is very expensive, we want to make sure
the solution works before we buy it

Thanks & regards

Sachin Ganu

IBM Global Services (India)