ADSM-L

Process for re-running failed of missed backups

2002-02-07 08:43:37
Subject: Process for re-running failed of missed backups
From: Sean McNamara <mcnams AT PJM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 08:40:59 -0500
Good Morning,

        I am looking for some best practices from the list on how to handle
backups that have either failed or were missed during the night.  We currently
backup 1000 nodes to four TSM servers.  Most mornings we have about 20-30
servers that have had a problem completing their backup for one reason or
another.  We currently investigate why each failure occurred and then re-run the
backup to capture changed data. It can get to be quite time consuming.  I'm
wondering what other shops do to handle these situations?  I am looking to not
only reduce the number of failure we experience each night but to may automate
the process of checking these backups and re-running them.  Thanks in advance.

Sean

Sean McNamara
Senior Analyst
PJM Interconnection, L.L.C.