ADSM-L

Re: IBM 3583 Library question.

2002-02-07 07:36:26
Subject: Re: IBM 3583 Library question.
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 06:31:01 -0600
Ben, use the *st or *stc device.  There is a section on how to configure
3583/Solaris/TSM in the Using IBM LTO Ultrium with Open Systems redbook
SG24-6502, see page 158.  You will find this redbook very helpful.

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

                      bbullock
                      <bbullock@MICRON.        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      COM>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  IBM 3583 Library
question.
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      02/06/2002 03:15
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

                We are hooking a new IBM 3583 tape library up to a Solaris
host to be a remote site TSM server. The Ultrium drives have various
/dev/?st...  devices through which we can access them. The no-brainer was
use the driver that tells the drive to compress the data, but I'm not sure
between these 2 options:

        /dev/rmt/*stc   <- compression and "Rewind on Close"
        /dev/rmt/*stcn  <- compression but "No Rewind on Close"

        I can't find anything in the TSM or library documents on which to
use. Does TSM get confused if a tape were to be mounted and it was not at
the beginning? Kind of seems like we would reduce tape and drive wear by
using the "no rewind" device drives, and writes might happen quicker it the
tape is not rewound...

                Any suggestions would be helpful. (the listserv archive
site
is currently inaccessible.)

        Thanks,

        Ben