ADSM-L

Re: DB Backups to specific tapes

2002-02-05 16:51:17
Subject: Re: DB Backups to specific tapes
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:48:36 -0500
Just list the volumes in the database backup command:

backup db type=full devc=yourdevclasshere vol=volser

To make this even easier, you can have a pool of volumes to use, in a comma
separated list:

backup db type=full devc=yourdevclasshere
vol=vol1,vol2,vol3,vol4,vol5,vol6,vol7

TSM will go along the list until it finds a volume it can use for the
backup.  So if, with the command above, vol1 and vol2 already have
dbbackups on them, TSM would use vol3.  You'll want more volumes than
you'll be keeping versions of your database, so you don't "starve" the
database backup process for tapes (I've been told if none of the listed
volumes are available, TSM will grab a scratch tape, but I've never tested
that).  So if you keep 7 versions of your database backup, you'll want at
least 7 (I'd recommend 10) tapes, to protect against bad tapes, mistaken
checkouts, or other issues.

Also, make sure the volumes that you want to use are checked in as Private,
not Scratch.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

Today is the tomorrow of yesterday.