ADSM-L

Re: 3494 Tape Library

2002-02-01 13:15:49
Subject: Re: 3494 Tape Library
From: Bill Mansfield <WMansfield AT SOLUTIONTECHNOLOGY DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:13:04 -0600
I would also suggest that you look at the 3584 tape library.  It has some
limitations vs. the 3494, but it is considerably less expensive.  The major
differences are:
The 3584 cannot be attached to a mainframe.  Not an issue when replacing
a 3575.
The LTO drives in the 3584 are poorer at load time and backspacing.  This
could be a decisive issue replacing a 3575.  The Magstar MP drives in the
3575 will outperform the 3580 LTO drive in this area.  This is primarily an
issue for HSM applications.
The LTO can hold 100GB (native) on a tape, while the limit on the 3590
tape is 40 MB.

_____________________________
William Mansfield
Senior Consultant
Solution Technology, Inc

                      "Prather, Wanda"
                      <Wanda.Prather@JH        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      UAPL.EDU>                cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: 3494 Tape Library
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      02/01/2002 11:55
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

It's an absolutely fabulous piece of enterprise-class hardware.
I can't think of any reason you would be sorry you had one.