ADSM-L

Re: low bandwitdth and big files

2002-01-30 13:41:47
Subject: Re: low bandwitdth and big files
From: "Wholey, Joseph (TGA\\MLOL)" <JWholey AT EXCHANGE.ML DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:39:10 -0500
Matt,

Are you running two, maybe 3 compression routines.  i.e.  once at the client,
once at the server level (you'll see if you q devclass f=d on a sequential
storage device) and once at the hardware level
(micro code).

If so, have you kept check on the amount of data in your stgpool.  I say this
because a q occ on a file space is not going to give you an accurrate
indication of the amount of data that node/filespace
has dumped into your stgpool.
Although the IBMers and the manuals say "don't run multiple compression
routines", they've yet to advise on what to do if you have to run client side
compression due to a slow network.  I can shut off
server side/devclass compression, but what about hardware compression.  Can you
shut off compression on a 3590 tape device.  Isn't that a micro code issue.
i.e.  you can't shut it off?

Regards, Joe