ADSM-L

Re: Mixed SCSI/SAN drives in LAN free, is that possible?

2002-01-30 12:51:25
Subject: Re: Mixed SCSI/SAN drives in LAN free, is that possible?
From: "Norback, Jan" <Jan.Norback AT ATOSORIGIN DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:48:52 +0100
Becky,
the fact that TSM doesn't care how the drives are attached is the part that
scares me. To me it sounds like:

-TSM might mount a tape in driveX, which could be SCSI attached
-TSM tell the storage agent to use driveX (which it doesn't have a clue
-TSM tell the storage agent to use driveX (which it doesn't have a clue
about as it is SCSI) and the backup will fail.
about as it is SCSI) and the backup will fail.

Is the above assumption correct or does TSM understand that it can't mount a
tape in a drive for which there is no drive mapping for this client?

SAN DGW isn't an option for this customer, I have used it for other
customers.

I am used to SAN and SCSI attached drives for LAN free but I haven't tried
the mixture...
Maybe there is a way to partition the 3494 so it looks like 2 different
libraries, one with SCSI and one with SAN or there might not be a problem?

/Jan Norback