ADSM-L

TSM Client shows other users' directories

2002-01-29 10:14:54
Subject: TSM Client shows other users' directories
From: Manuel Panea-Doblado <mpd AT RZG.MPG DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:57:17 +0100
Hi. Has anyone noticed the following TSM "feature"?

 Step 1. Take any Unix machine which has been registered as a TSM
 node. Create some directories and subdirectories owned by user Alice
 and only readable by user Alice.

 Step 2. As user "root", make a TSM-backup of the machine.

 Step 3. Start the TSM Client as user Bob. Go to the "Restore"
 window. According to step 1, the Unix permissions don't allow Bob to
 see what directories Alice has, but the TSM Client will happily show
 all of them. (Mind you, I mean the directories only, not files.) So
 if Alice were to have a directory called, say,
 'World_Wide_Conspiration_Plans' or 'Interesting_Job_Offers' or
 'Staff_To_Be_Fired_Next_Week' anyone could misuse TSM to see that.

Doesn't this bother anyone? In our multi-user environment, I find it
unacceptable. The only solution I can think of would be to register
one node per user, but then we would need a license for each user,
even for those several hundred users who only have a mail file and
little else in their $HOMEs.

Any comments?

--
  Manuel Panea                    Tel. +49 89 3299 1133
  Manuel Panea                    Tel. +49 89 3299 1133