ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli Decision Support and TSM server

2002-01-23 15:01:57
Subject: Re: Tivoli Decision Support and TSM server
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:58:53 -0500
Christo,

Can you teel what sql query is running?  I know some queries are
really terrible, especially 'select * from volumeusage".  Is there some
options in the TDSSMA to limit what queries are done?

I run a large tsm erver on OS/390 also.  I can do a select of
all the occupancy data in 9 minutes elapsed time.  I can't compare
the performance with w2k or aix because I don't run those servers,
but I am happy with the perfromance on os/390.

But I agree with you about TDSSMA - if it drives the server crazy it
isn't a good product.

At 12:53 PM 1/23/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Are there any of you guys/gals that are running TDS for SMA?
>If you are - what kind of TSM server are you running:
>Platform and size of database being the ones I'll be interested
>in.
>We are busy evaluating the TDSSMA modules and are experiencing
>bad performance on our biggest TSM server - for those of you
>that are familiar with the product - when the TDS Loader runs it
>consumes about 24% of our OS/390 CPU for 28hours - the load is still
>not finished. This makes the whole TDS product useless to us.
>
>It is fine for our smaller TSM environments but it does not help
>getting different products for the smaller and bigger environments.
>To me it seems like the usefullness of this product or any other
>product that will be running SQL queries into your TSM db is severly
>impacted by the size of your TSM environment - coming back to the
>scalability of TSM's proprietary "black box" DB!
>
>Have any of you noticed this or do we need to look at other things.
>My opinion of TSM on OS/390 is that it performs worse on OS/390 than
>AIX or I'll even be as bold to say Win2K ;-)
>
>Thanks for any input.
>
>Regards
>Christo Heuer

Bill Colwell