ADSM-L

Re: 4 mm internal tape problems

2002-01-18 05:18:12
Subject: Re: 4 mm internal tape problems
From: Herfried Abel <ha7 AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:15:08 +0100
Maybe its because the DEVICE TYPE in the DEVICE CLASS and the DRIVE
DEFINITION differ ( 4MM vs GENERICTAPE) ?

Henrik Hansson <Henrik_Hansson AT ALBINT DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 18.01.2002
10:51:52

To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:

Subject:  4 mm internal tape problems

Hello fellows....

I have  a bit of a problem, the scenario is as follows.

We are running AIX 4.3.3 and have recently moved from ADSM 3.xx to TSM 4.2.
Attached is a IBM 3583 Ultrium tape robot.

The 3583 is working fine and I can do backups.
For my database backups I used the internal 4 mm tape station in ADSM and
thought I'd continue doing that in TSM (or is it better to use the 3583 LTO
robot?). I have defined a device class for the 4mm and a Manual library and
drive. How ever when I try to make a DB backup I get the error below,
insufficient mount points. This worked fine in ADSM before on the same Unix
box.
I cant figure out why.
The 4 mm was installed and defined before the TSM server was installed. Do
I need to remove the device defenition in AIX and redefine it? Or is it
simply an error in my setup?

Anyone have any ideas?

Below is my config.

Error
01/18/02   10:19:29  ANR4571E Database backup/restore terminated -
insufficient
number of mount points available for removable media.

Library;
Library Name: MANUAL_4MM
Library Type: MANUAL
Device:
Private Category:
Scratch Category:
External Manager:
Shared: No
LanFree:
ObeyMountRetention:

Device class;
Device Class Name: MANUAL_DRIVE
Device Access Strategy: Sequential
Storage Pool Count: 0
Device Type: 4MM
Format: DRIVE
Est/Max Capacity (MB):
Mount Limit: 1
Mount Wait (min): 60
Mount Retention (min): 60
Label Prefix: ADSM
Library: MANUAL_4MM
Directory:
Server Name:
Retry Period:
Retry Interval:
Shared:
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
Last Update Date/Time: 01/06/02   13:42:05

Drive
Library Name: MANUAL_4MM
Drive Name: MANUAL_TAPE
Device Type: GENERICTAPE
On-Line: Yes
Device: /dev/rmt0
Element:
Allocated to:
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
Last Update Date/Time: 01/06/02   13:35:57
Cleaning Frequency (Gigabytes/ASNEEDED/NONE): NONE

Med vänliga hälsningar / Best Regards
Henrik Hansson
Albany Door Systems  AB
Web; www.albanydoorsystems.com

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.