ADSM-L

Re: Tape Reclamation

2002-01-16 14:46:52
Subject: Re: Tape Reclamation
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:40:50 -0500
This is normal operation.  I have tapes out of the library too and operators
have to watch and check tapes back in library as needed.

David Longo

>>> karen.mikacenic AT UNIGARD DOT COM 01/16/02 02:17PM >>>
When a tape reclamation starts for tape 000025, the volume is mounted into
the drive, but ADSM also requests the mounting of tape 000020 which is not
in the library (manually marked unavailable).  It is extremely difficult to
reclaim tapes without knowing what tapes are associated to each other.  I
think this is happening when a file is written across tapes.  Is there a
easy way to know what tapes are needed to reclaim one tape?  I would prefer
if there was not a spanning/association across tapes so that when tape
000025 was reclaimable, it could be reclaimed without requiring tape 000020.
A lot of tapes do not get reclaimed because of this.  Does everyone have
this problem or is it something peculiar to me.  I run  ADSM Server for
Windows NT Version 3 Release 1 Level 2.30 on NT 4.0 SP4.   Here is the
activity log:
I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thank you

Karen Mikacenic -TSG
425 945 5137
425 562 5257 (fax)
karen.mikacenic AT unigard DOT com
Unigard Insurance
15805 NE 24th St.
Bellevue, WA  98008

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 01/16/02 14:54:45
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.