ADSM-L

Re: DOS attack? (off-topic)

2015-10-04 17:13:41
Subject: Re: DOS attack? (off-topic)
From: David Longo [mailto:David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I'm curious for another reason.  There were a BUNCH of these in
December.  At first I thought some retirements, then I wondered.
Now in the last week another small flood.

Is this more layoffs in our fine profession?
Whois going to backup all the data?

David Longo

>>> mls AT CCI.ORLANDOSENTINEL DOT COM 01/16/02 10:17AM >>>
> I'm seeing all these unsubscribe messages, some of them from
> Is this some kind of lame attempt at a DOS attack on the list?

    Steve, never ascribe to malice what can be chalked-up to
ignorance. My guess is that the folks simply didn't read the
instructions that they were given when they subscribed nor
did they keep those instructions for reference (as was
requested of them in the message the obviously didn't read).
Further, they are too lazy to do a bit of research in order
to figure out how to unsubscribe. (Hint: send 'SIGNOFF ADSM-L'
to 'listserv AT vm.marist DOT edu'.)
    Why the sudden rash?
    At all times, there are folks who want to be removed from
the list. (To be fair, tis is a fairly high volume list.)
Those people who are too ignorant to figure out how to
unsubscribe see the in-channel 'unsubscribe' requests. They
think that's the correct way to be removed from the list. So,
they try it too, often even after folks have gone to lengths
to explain the unsubscribe method. In short, it snowballs.
    If I sound a tad bit bitter, it is only because I have
managed lists on occasion. If anyone ever asks you to, just
say 'no'.

    Matt

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 01/16/02 11:55:25
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the
sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or
opinions.

==

Confidentiality Note: The information transmitted is intended only for the
person or entity to whom or which it is addressed and may contain
dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error,
please delete this material immediately.