ADSM-L

Re: One Client, Two File Types, Different Retention Reqd.

2002-01-14 11:01:23
Subject: Re: One Client, Two File Types, Different Retention Reqd.
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:58:12 -0500
I don't see any way around using include/exclude lists.  What is the
objection to using them?  In your case, you wouldn't be excluding anything,
but including specific files to a different MC.  Also, there are some files
you definitely do not want to be backing up... like dsmerror.log....

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

                    Paul Biggin
                    <paul.biggin@CONS
                    IGNIA.COM>        To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                      cc:    (bcc: Robin Sharpe/WA/USR/SHG)
                    01/10/02 12:50 PM Subject:
                    Please respond to        One Client, Two File Types,
Different Retention Reqd.
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Hi,

Can someone please suggest the best/preferred way of having different
retention
periods for different groups of files from one client.

I've got a client that has two different groups of files, lets say /data
and
/test.
/data needs to be retained for one month, /test for one week.

I assume that to have each group held for different retention periods, I
will
have to set up two management classes each pointing to their own backup
copy
groups. But how do I associate the  files with the intended management
class/copy group? The client is defined to a single policy domain.
I can't try include/exclude lists, as we don't use them! Is there another
way?

Cheers
Paul

This  email  and any attachments are confidential and intended for the
addressee
only.   If  you  are  not  the  named  recipient,  you  must  not use,
disclose,
reproduce,  copy  or distribute the contents of this communication.  If you
have
received  this  in  error,  please contact the sender and then delete this
email
from your system.