ADSM-L

TSM, extending backup storage

2015-10-04 17:13:40
Subject: TSM, extending backup storage
From: Rooij, FC de [mailto:Fred.deRooij AT CORUSGROUP DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Question:
I think about a huge diskpool without migration to tape.  Is there a
limitation on the size of the diskpools?

If not, are there things I have not thought about?

The backup-service is separated from the original data by a dedicated
building located 1 Km away from the original!
I think we have a lot of benefits:
*       quicker restores
*       no waiting for the availability of tapeunits
*       less administrative overhead
*       migration from disk --> tape
*       no reclamation
*       less processor use
*       the admininistrative window will decrease, so the backup window
can
increase
*       no ATL
*       No tape-units
*       Easy exctending of storage capacity

I am aware this is a strange idea, but why not?

with regards,
Fred de Rooij
Corus Information Services - Enterprise  Services
%    +31 (0) 251 492215 - Fax : +31 (0) 251 471153
Email: Fred.deRooij AT corusgroup DOT com