ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Restore Problem

2002-01-10 20:14:40
Subject: Re: Exchange Restore Problem
From: "Lathrop, Andrew R." <ARLathrop AT DOC1.WA DOT GOV>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:11:56 -0800
Do you have any Exchange Fix Packs to apply?  Also, when you did the install
of Exchange Server, did you use the /r option with setup?  Here's the
documentation we have on recovering to a new Exchange server.  It has been
tested and works in our environment, Exchange 5.5 FP 4, NT 4.0 SP 6a, TSM
3.7.4 Server and 3.7.2 Client with TDP for Exchange 1.1.

This process works for both the primary site server and any additional
servers within the site.  It assumes that the server has been destroyed and
you are recovering to a new server.
1. Install NT 4.0 Enterprise and the current Service Pack.  Install the TSM
client and TDP for Exchange API and the update to TDP for Exchange.  All of
these disks are with the documentation.
2. Exit out of the autostart screen that appears.  Select Start/Run and type
in CD:\SERVER\SETUP\I386\Setup.exe /r.  This will start the setup in
recovery mode.
3. During setup choose Custom Setup and select Exchange Administrator,
Exchange Server, and Exchange Event Service.
4. Select Create a new Site and enter <your organization> for the
organization and <your site> for the site.
5. Install.
6. At the end of the installation, choose to run Performance Optimizer.  Set
the priv.edb and pub.edb to drive e:\ and all of the others to drive d:\.
The Performance Optimizer will error because the databases have not been
created.  Just click through all of the errors.
7. Place the Exchange 5.5 Service Packs CD in the CD-ROM drive.  Select
Start/Run and type in "CD:\Exchange
SP4\SP4\ENG\server\setup\i386\update.exe" /r to run SP4 in restore mode.
Install.
8. Check to make sure that the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant is
running, but no other Exchange services.
9. Restore databases using TDP for Exchange.  Select to delete existing log
files for both the Directory database and Information Store Database.  Leave
both the Private and Public Information Stores checked for restore and click
on Restore.
10. Exit from TDP for Exchange after the restore has completed.
11. At the command prompt copy the following files from the original
Exchange CD.  "CD:\server\setup\i386\bootenv\*.*" to "c:\exchsrvr\mtadata."
12. Still using a command prompt, execute the following:

\Exchsrvr\bin\isnteg -PRI
\Exchsrvr\bin\isnteg -PUB
\Exchsrvr\bin\mtacheck
13. Start all of the Microsoft Exchange services that are set to automatic
in the following order:

A. Microsoft Exchange Directory
B. Microsoft Exchange Information Store
C. Microsoft Exchange Message Transfer Agent
D. Microsoft Exchange Event Service.

The Microsoft Exchange System Attendant should already be running.
14. Open Microsoft Exchange Administrator and select the server in question.
Highlight that server click on file, properties, and select the advanced
tab.  Uncheck Circular Logging check boxes, click on Apply.
15. Click on the DS/IS consistency button, select All Changes, click on OK
and then OK.

Andrew Lathrop
Information Technology
Washington State Department of Corrections
Olympia, WA