ADSM-L

Reading 'J' tapes on 'E' drives

2002-01-10 14:58:52
Subject: Reading 'J' tapes on 'E' drives
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:54:47 -0500
TSM knows the tape belongs to the other storage pool, which exists in the
other library.  You can't move the tapes themselves (with data on them),
you have to move the data on the tapes.  Once the tapes are scratch, you
can move them from one library to the other.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

Today is the tomorrow of yesterday.

----- Forwarded by Nicholas Cassimatis/Raleigh/IBM on 01/10/2002 02:53 PM
-----
-----
                    Mike Crawford
                    Mike Crawford
                    <mcrawfrd@telusp       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    lanet.net>             cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:        Subject:     Reading 'J' tapes on
'E' drives
                    Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]
                    T.EDU>

                    01/10/2002 01:02
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to mcrawfrd

Ok, maybe I've misread the documentation but, this is causing me some
grief.

In testing the upgraded 3590E drive, I've followed the instructions for
creating
a new library, devclass, drive, and storage pools.  What I'm trying to do
is
move a full J tape from the old library to the newly defined library, and
read
it on the E drive.

I am able to 'checkin libvol magstor3e 101008 status=private devtype=3590',
but when I try to read the tape, ADSM requests it be mounted back in the
origional
library.

What gives?  I'm at wit's end (not that far from wit's beginning, really!)

Thanks,
Mike