ADSM-L

Re: Truncate trans log after full backup???

2002-01-10 09:14:23
Subject: Re: Truncate trans log after full backup???
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:11:44 -0500
> Don't TDP for SQL version 2.2 truncate the transaction log
> after a full backup??
>
> Which setup is recommended:
>
>      Only Full backup
> or
>      Full backup and then Log backup with TRUNCate=yes
> or
>      Log backup with TRUNCate=yes and then Full backup

Bo,

A full backup does not truncate the log. Only a log backup does.
This is what SQL server does. TDP for SQL just use their commands.
Once a sequence of log backups starts, it is independent of
other backups. A full backup will restore to the time the
full backup completed. It doesn't matter when the log is
truncated (as long as it is sometime). With SQL 7 you can't
have a full and log backup at the same time; with SQL 2000 you can.
With SQL 7 you may be concerned with the timing of
log and full backups because the second to start
will just wait for the first to finish.
With SQL 2000 it doesn't matter; just schedule as needed
for the desired restore criteria.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"Celebrate we will. Life is short but sweet for certain..."  -- Dave