ADSM-L

AW: Client Compression question

2015-10-04 17:13:40
Subject: AW: Client Compression question
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf O=
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
We are using client compression for backup of a 1,5 TByte NAS
system.(F760)
(reason is to have apparently larger disk storage pools)
Backup is done using 5 different nodes on the same machine (Dual 1 GHz
P3)
to have the opportiunity to restore with 5 sessions.
During backup i can see about 3-4 MByte per second on the network to th=
TSM-server on MVS.
Restoretests for the netapp system seem to have a limit with this
compressed
data at 8-9 MB per second. (only if tapes 3590-B a filled well)
At this speed (can be observed over a longer period) TSM client and NAS=

system have nearly 100% CPU load.
The data a typical userdata - many small and some large

Regards,
Stefan Holzwarth

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----

 Certified TSM 4.1 admin
 M=C1V Informatika Kft.
 Tel.:06(1)457-9372

> Hi.
> Hi.

> I have been testing Novell backups and restores using a Compaq
proliant
8500 as
> the client
> box.
> We have been seeing ok performance of approx 10 gb an hour for backup=
and
> restores,
> of 1 million objects.
> This applies both to Netware compressed and Netware uncompressed
volumes.
> However when I try TSM client compression on a backup of a netware
uncompressed
> volume, the performance drops to 1 gb. an hour.
> It is not a resource problem the compaq cpu is hardly stirring, but i=
is
> definitely the TSM compression that is taking up the time (TSM tracin=
shows it
> as 89% of the total time)
> I always believed in the past that slow performance with client
compression was
> down to
> lack of cpu on the client box, but there is cpu to spare with this
> configuration.
> My question is :-
> Is 1 gb an hour the best performance I that I can expect using TSM
compression
> or can anyone think of reasons why that is all I am achieving ?

> thanks

> *********************************************************************=
*
> The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
> privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
> Energy plc.
> It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
> anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient,
> any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
> to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
> the error in transmission.

> Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC and S+S
> are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.
*

=